Books, books, books! In the last chapter of Ecclesiastes, King Solomon writes, “of making many books there is no end;” (Eccl. 12:12b) How very true!! There are so many, many books available today.
As we invest spiritually in the lives of our children, first and foremost, we are to diligently use the absolute best library of sixty-six books that God has given to us. The Bible!
The Bible is our authority. It is totally true, trustworthy and right. (Psalm 19) The Bible is always the best Book to use as we spiritually invest in our children.
God has also created us in His own image and has given some of His people the gift of communicating truths with the written word, and others the ability to communicate through the arts. God honoring books have been created and can be of great help as we invest in the lives of our children during Bible Time and other times of the day as well. However, it can sometimes be a challenge to find these books!
The purpose of this post is to share some Bible Storybook suggestions. To do so, I went around our house and looked for Bible Storybooks that we have used and enjoyed. Some were sitting on our family bookshelves and others on our daughters’ personal bookshelves.
Obviously, this list is not an exhaustive list of all the good Bible Storybooks that are available, and as you can tell by the copyright dates, they are not recent books, but maybe the list will be a help to those of you who would like to begin to create a Bible Time Library. And, if you have already started your family’s Bible Time Library, perhaps you will come across a book in the list that you would like to add to your collection. Some of these books can be purchased new, others may need to be purchased as used books. I do encourage you to carefully examine any books you may have an interest in to see if they support the goals you have for your children.
Suggested Bible Story Books:
– The First Step Bible – Mack Thomas (Gold ‘n’ Honey 1994)
– My Little Bible Promises – Compiled by Brenda C. Ward and illustrated by Stephanie Britt (Word Kids 1994)
– When Stars Come Out, Bedtime Psalms for Little Ones – L.J. Sattgast (Gold ‘n’ Honey 1994)
– The Early Readers Bible – V. Gilbert Beers (Gold and Honey 1991)
– The Young Readers Bible – Bonnie Bruno and Carol Reinsma (Standard Publishing 1998)
– The Beginners Bible – Karyn Henley (Zonderkidz) * Note: Be careful when purchasing this book. See that it is by Karyn Henley. There is another book with the same title by a different author.
– God’s Story – Karyn Henley (Tyndale for Kids 1998)
– The Old Testament in Pictures for Little Eyes – Kenneth N Taylor (Moody Press 1989)
– The New Testament in Pictures for Little Eyes – Kenneth N Taylor (Moody Press 1989)
The download can be placed in the Bible section of this blog’s Bible Time Notebook for future reference. If you find any of the books in the above list to be useful for your family, we welcome you to let us know, and if you have questions about a book, feel free to ask!
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.