Are you interested in an activity that will help your child review his Bible memory verses while giving him an opportunity to stretch his legs and move about?
Play “Turn Around and Touch the Ground!”
This is the sixth in a series of posts offering Bible Study and Scripture Memory activities for children.
Tell your child that you are both going to play “Turn Around and Touch the Ground” while reviewing your memory verses.
Place a chair in an open space. Put your child’s Memory Verse Cards (MVCs) in a pile on the chair. Place the MVC pile face down.
1. Turn over the first MVC. Place the first MVC face up, beside the MVC pile, creating a second pile for the MVCs.
2. Have your child say the Bible reference on the MVC while he turns around.
3. Then, have him squat down by the chair and touch the ground with both hands while saying the memory verse.
4. Then, have him stand up and turn around a second time while saying the Bible reference again.
5. Turn over the next MVC and repeat #2-5.
6. Continue until all the MVCs are in the second pile.
Note: You can enjoy this activity with one child or with all of your children. If more than one child is participating, your children can take turns per verse, or they can all do the activity together! To add variety, see the ideas below.
After your child is familiar with this activity, you could add variety by putting little papers with added instructions in a jar or bowl. Have him select one added instruction for each verse. For example:
* While you turn around and touch the ground, say the memory verse very slow.
* While you turn around and touch the ground, say the memory verse as quickly as you can.
* While your turn around and touch the ground, nod your head as you say the verse.
* As you turn around and say the Bible reference, jump!
* As you turn around and say the Bible reference, march.
* As you turn around and say the Bible reference, wave your hands.
* As you touch the ground and say the verse, pat the ground.
* As you touch the ground and say the verse, close your eyes.
* As you touch the ground and say the verse, balance on one foot.
1. Share this post with a friend!
2. Share with me!
– What Bible verse are your memorizing with your child?
– What did you like best about the “Turn Around and Touch the Ground” activity?
– What suggestions do you have that would improve this activity?
Enjoy Playing “Turn Around and Touch the Ground” as part of a simple Bible Time with your child. Follow three steps:
1. SING: Start with singing a song to the Lord.
2. BIBLE: Play “Turn Around and Touch the Ground” following the directions above.
3. PRAY: Then talk to God in prayer.
“Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.”