Hi, this is Melanie!
What’s one thing we do to help us stay physically healthy?
You guessed it: Eat a nutritious breakfast!
What’s one thing we do to help us stay spiritually healthy?
Right again: Daily Time with God!
Actually, ‘breakfast for my soul’ is a favorite description of mine for my daily quiet time. In Matthew 4:4 Christ says that man lives not just on food, but on God’s Word. The more I spend time in God’s Word, the more I agree!
So, I thought it’d be fun to draw some parallels between the two kinds of breakfast. Here goes:
- Both are at the beginning of my day
- Both give me fuel – food for my body, food for my thoughts
- Both take time and action on my part
- Both do best with quality being the priority, with quantity varying on the day
- Both can set the tone for the hours that follow – physically a steady metabolism, spiritually a focus on Christ
- Both have an indirect impact on others
- Both are daily needs
- Both can be blessed with fellowship – fellowship with other family members around breakfast, fellowship with God during my quiet time
- And, both can be sweet to the taste! (Psalm 19:10)
Wow! The Lord has been so faithful to give us not only food for our bodies, but also food for our souls/hearts.
Can you think of any parallels I missed? I’d love to read your thoughts in the comments below.
“Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.”