Oh those moments when my sisters and I used to sit, stand, etc. or a combination thereof, and try to figure out what to do together! Or maybe I should say agree on what we were going to do together? It was such an issue for my sisters and I that we even made a home film out of it! Please tell me we’re not the only sisters who’ve had this problem?! :)
Put Them First: The first and foremost thing I’ve discovered about this whole ‘what do we do’ scenario – sometimes you just plain have to put yourself on the back burner and do something that is not at the top of your list!
“…but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” (Philippians 2:3b-4)
Combine Ideas: The second thing I’ve discovered – sometimes you can get three birds with one stone! In our sister trio we have an artist, a musician who happens to be a splendid reader and a gal who likes to write and do just about everything from knit to nothing. Solution: One sister reads aloud (from a book or story being written) and the other two work on their projects of choice, even if that means just listening. Presto! We’re together and everyone can do something they enjoy. I’ve so many happy memories on this one!
Having said that here are some other fun things I’ve enjoyed doing with my sisters. Hope they are an inspiration as you invest in your own sisters and as you decide ‘what to do’ in those fun free moments together!
- Playing dolls
- Playing paper dolls
- Dress up (I don’t think this one is age sensitive! :)
- Playing instruments together
- Attending a classical concert
- Listening to an audio drama
- Pitching in on a joint gift for our parents
- Rooming together and talking up a storm
- One sister makes something delicious and the other two help her eat it! :) (Someone made healthy brownies here this weekend. I know, you poor folks, you really missed out. And yes, I need to take lessons from this sister of mine!)
- Having a ‘just us’ dinner while Dad and Mom are on the road or on a date
- And this is a double on point 2 above, but I’m going to mention it anyway! One sister writes a story and shares it piece by piece as it’s written – talk about fun! But beware – late nights can happen easily! :)
What do you enjoy doing with your sisters?! I’d love to hear!
“Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.” Philippians 2:5-7